Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Time to go on a diet

I had been thinking about dropping a few pounds for some time now. My 3-year-old was giving me regular reminders, patting me on the stomach and saying "Big tummy." After reading the news story today indicating that even being moderately overweight in middle age can shorten your life, I've decided it's time to act.
I decided to check my Body Mass Index to see whether I was Healthy, Overweight or Obese. (Check yours at http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/). As I suspected, I fell into the Overweight category - one shared by about one third of the middle-aged population. (Another third are obese.) To move from Overweight to borderline Healthy, I need to shed 13 pounds. To move into the middle of the Healthy pack, I need to drop down to a weight I haven't seen since high school.
I've never had trouble dropping 20 pounds or so in a year, employing my half-portions and no-late-snacks diet. I don't think I will this time either. But it will take a week or two to get used to the idea of going to bed without a late dessert. Once my stomach gets accustomed to the idea, I should be well on my way - I hope - to shedding the Overweight and "Big tummy" label.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home