Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Where were the sanders and salters?

My household was among the 25,000 in Monmouth and Ocean counties today without power. The lights also went out at my 3-year-old's pre-school, prompting a call from the school this morning to come pick him up. The trip from Neptune to the pre-school took about 15 minutes longer than usual because of all the roads that were closed down in Jackson en route. Tree limbs were down everywhere, bringing down power lines with them. It was a mess.
During my travels, including my trip back to Neptune, I was struck by the lack of salters and sanders - none on the Parkway and none on I-95. In Jackson, I saw two municipal trucks plowing water and slush off the road. But nary a drop of salt or sand anywhere. Can't wait for the trip home.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't pay nearly enough in property taxes to receive the sort of services you would like.

7:06 PM, February 14, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in Neptune and I heard the sanders and the plow early on Wednesday morning. They did a good job for what was an unusual day, not too many ice storms in NJ. Of course if you wanted the roads to be cleared earlier that would demand an increase in taxes. But then that would lead to another complaint. Sounds like the state can not win either way.

10:54 AM, February 15, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what's is orange (or sometimes green)and sleeps 3 ....a state work truck

9:21 AM, February 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home