Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Shangri-Las concert no Shangri-La

I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but I went to a concert at Ocean Grove Auditorium Saturday night to see the Shangri-Las, who, for some odd reason, were on the card with three Doo-Wop groups, the Platters, the Drifters and the Coasters.
During my adolescence, the Shangri-Las were my favorite girls' group. I had a mad crush on the lead singer, Mary Weiss. Two of the group members died long ago, and Weiss, who is now an interior decorator in Manhattan, hasn't performed for 20 years. Unfortunately, I didn't find that out until long after I bought my tickets.
The group that performed Saturday night was entertaining. They looked like the Shangri-Las, they dressed like the Shangri-Las (in leather) and they sang like the Shangri-Las. Trouble is, they only sang two Shangri-Las' songs - ''Leader of the Pack'' and ''Remember (Walking in the Sand).'' The rest of the abbreviated set included songs by the Ronettes, Shirelles and Little Eva. I think I was the only person in the audience who felt cheated. Most people were there to see the Platters and the Drifters, who also were essentially cover bands. Most of the group's members were young enough to be the grandchildren of the originals.
Nonetheless, all in all, it was a good show - worth the 20 bucks for the cheap seats.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home