Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Last call for tax-cutting ideas

Someone from the Assembly Democratic Office called me yesterday to ask if we could remind readers that lawmakers are soliciting taxpayers' views on some of the cost-cutting ideas that have been floated in the four legislative committees studying property tax reform and any other ideas they may have.

I told the caller that there had been no need for the call - I had planned to blog on it. But rather than plugging the Internet site that allows people to provide feedback, I planned to point out, as the Press has done on the editorial pages in the past, that the legislators have long known what needed to be done to reduce taxes. They've just lacked the desire or courage, or both, to do it.

I also pointed out that the feedback to legislators would be more useful if the ideas suggested by taxpayers on the Legislature's Web site were available for everyone to see. The posts simply disappear into the ethernet, never to be seen again. I'd like to know what good ideas people are suggesting that lawmakers are ignoring. The caller said he would take my suggestion under advisement. I'm not holding my breath.
But if you want to weigh in with any suggestions, here's the link:
http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/PropertyTaxSession/specialsessionpt.asp

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home