Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

New Jersey's autobahns

I had business to tend to up north yesterday, and took the Turnpike to get there, and the Garden State Parkway to return to work. On each roadway, the flow of traffic in the right lane was 70 mph-plus, and approximately 75 to 80 in the far passing lane. As usual, I saw no troopers on the Garden State Parkway. On my trip up the Turnpike, much to my surprise, I actually saw one - a rarity in itself, at least on those portions of the Turnpike I normally travel. I was thrilled to see him, because I thought he was pursuing a tractor-trailer that had passed me moments earlier doing at least 80 mph. I don't think that's where the trooper was headed, however. I didn't see his car on the shoulder for the next 10 or 15 miles of my trip.
Every time I drive the Turnpike, and to a lesser extent the Garden State Parkway, I can't help but wondering whether the state's decision not to enforce the speed limit on those roads affects driving behavior on other roads in the state with lower limits. I assume the justification for the light traffic details on the Parkway and Turnpike in the central portion of the state is relatively low accident/fatality rates. But to allow motorists to consistently and flagrantly ignore posted limits there can't help but contribute to the widespread notion that traffic laws can be ignored with impunity anywhere in New Jersey. Failure to adequately patrol those two major thoroughfares is a major mistake.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait until the weather gets warm that is when you see people passing on the shoulder on route 36 to get to the beach in time.

3:16 PM, April 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home