Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Glucosamine and chondroitin: Do they help?

Two popular supplements for the relief of arthritic pain, glucosamine and chondroitin, have been wildly successful at making money for the companies that sell them. Unfortunately, a study published today in the New England Journal of Medicine found the supplements provided the same level of relief for patients with aching knees as the experiments' dummy pills: none.

Millions of arthritis sufferers use the supplements. Last year, glucosamine and chondroitin accounted for $1.7 billion in worldwide sales. Many people swear by them. We doubt the study will change many minds.

Have they worked for you, your friends or family members?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The claim that glucosamine works to rebuild cartilage impressed me and I tried a combination of it with chondroitin. I saw some dramatic improvement. I have suffered greatly for the last few years with osteo arthritis and tried many different medicines and therapies. I learned that I did not necessarily need the chondroitin portion so I now take 1,000 mg. of glucosamine daily and feel relief.

6:49 AM, February 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My father is 66 years old and has suffered with knee problems for many years. He is taking a G&C formulation and it has given him some relief. About a year ago I started to notice pain and stiffness in my knees and in December I also started taking it. It has nearly eliminated my symptoms. I don't think the result is a "placebo effect".

2:19 PM, March 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home