Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Make Asbury Park inviting

After enjoying a wonderful morning at the beach in Belmar with my 3-year-old son Saturday, I decided to head north up the coast in search of his favorite meal - a hot dog and a shake. I figured I'd stop off in Asbury Park, to see if Howard Johnson's was opened. It wasn't. Neither was anyplace else on the boardwalk.
I recognize it's still early in the year, but Asbury Park was anything but inviting. There were detours everywhere on roads leading to the beach. Ocean Avenue, the main drag along the beach, was full of litter, as were the grounds of some of the pavilions.
As the redevelopment proceeds, the city and the developer, Asbury Partners, need to find a way to keep the beachfront easily accessible and as inviting as possible. Right now, it isn't. Picking up trash would be a good start.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live at the heart of the redevelopment area in Asbury. Sadly when I want to "walk" the boardwalk - I go to towns further south (Ocean Grove, Belmar, etc.) to enjoy whatever amenities are available.

1:20 PM, May 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home