Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Good beach reading

What with three young kids and a time-consuming job, I don't have much time to read books these days. But on my recent two-week vacation, much of it spent on the beaches of New Jersey and Delaware, I managed to consume four of them. Two were written by colleagues at the Press, Paul D'Ambrosio and Mike Riley. The others were authored by former Gov. Jim McGreevey and his estranged wife, Dina.
Riley's book "Only Human," a collection of columns published a few years back, was highly amusing; D'Ambrosio's, a newly published first novel titled "Cold Rolled Dead" was riveting. It's a mystery novel set on Long Beach Island. It's a great summertime read.
I swore I would never buy either of the books by the McGreeveys. I didn't. I checked them out of the library after my mother-in-law told me how much she enjoyed Dina Matos McGreevey's book "Silent Partner." I'm glad I did. I particularly enjoyed Jim McGreevey's book, "The Confession." It provided insights I wasn't expecting into New Jersey politics and its key players and power brokers. Neither book did anything to change my mind about the McGreeveys' lack of character.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This summer after taking my daughter to the midnight screening of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix I was so impressed with the movie, I started reading from the beginning, all the Harry books. Well, not all yet. Right now I am on book #5, which is the Order of the Phoenix. With each book, the page amounts go up. This one is 800 plus, and the books have a formula to them, but they are quite imaginative and do what they're supposed to do - remove you from reality a bit.

Glad you got to read. It's a guilty pleasure when you have kids, but it's well worth the time, when you have the time.

Margaret

6:55 AM, August 24, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home