Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Friday, July 20, 2007

One heckuva pothole

Something didn't smell right to me about Thursday's wire service story on the jogging accident of state Senate Majority Leader Bernard Kenny, D-Hudson. Kenny, 60, was hospitalized with several broken bones after he told police he stepped in a pothole while jogging near his home at 6:50 a.m. Wednesday. Among his injuries: a broken right fibula, four pelvic fractures, a broken nose and a dislocated right shoulder.
Apparently, I wasn't the only one who questioned the circumstances surrounding Kenny's injuries. The Hudson County Prosecutor's Office said Thursday that Kenny's injuries were consistent with being struck by a motor vehicle. "These injuries look to be more extensive than what would be consistent with a trip and fall," Prosecutor Edward J. DeFazio said.
Why would Kenny, who decided not to run for re-election this fall, say he stepped in a pothole if he was hit by a car? Was he in shock? Thursday's story quoted the police as saying that Kenny was "alert and able to articulate his injuries and indicate the circumstances that led to those injuries."
Stay tuned.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although there may be other reasons for not reporting this as a hit and run (domestic trouble he doesn't want to report, for instance). The reality is, he may not know what happened.

Pulling away from a traffic light on a motorcycle, I ended up flat on my back under someone's oil pan. I apologized to the woman who drove that car, picked up my damaged bike and walked to a parking lot.

A car pulled into the lot and the gentleman came running up and said that he couldn't believe that the woman who hit me just left. Two other drivers stopped and confirmed that I had been struck from behind.

It turned out that I didn't fall; I was hit from behind. I had no idea what happened and I had apologized to her!

My point is that he could have been struck from behind and not know it.

11:26 AM, July 20, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home