Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Keep a spare tire in the trunk

It had been at least 10 years since I last had a flat tire while on the road. But that streak ended Monday night, on my way back from a dinner with some Swiss cousins and friends in New York City.
I had just passed through the toll plaza leading to the N.J. Turnpike when the steering wheel began pulling. Seconds later, it was clear I had a flat. Fortunately, I was able to limp into the service area, which was only about 100 yards from where I had pulled onto the shoulder. I was thankful I hadn't broken down in the Lincoln Tunnel, on the Route 495 helix or the nearby portions of the Turnpike where the shoulders have been eliminated because of ongoing construction.
The blown tire, I soon learned, could not be patched. I was given two choices: either use my donut, which I was advised wouldn't hold up for more than 50 miles and couldn't sustain speeds of more than 50 mph, or buy a new one. Unfortunately, they didn't have any tires in stock to match mine. The one that came closest would get me home. But if I drove with it for more than a week or two, I was told, my other tires would wear unevenly and quickly. The other catch: It would cost me $104, including tax - about double what I'm used to shelling out for a tire. I opted for the $104 tire that didn't fit right; today, I went out and bought another one that did for $44.
The whole episode would have been far more upsetting if I hadn't been so thankful for breaking down where I did. And now I finally have what I should have had in my trunk all along - a spare tire.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home